Thursday 17 September 2015

Devil's Spittleful (Revisited) and Burlish Top

Gosh, it's been two weeks since I last posted, I hadn't realised how quickly time was passing! So here is my apology to those few that have been checking this space most days. I am sorry but also thank-you! (I like to pretend I'm not actually just talking to myself over here, ha!)

I haven't really been out and about much recently, work has been super busy and the recent autumnal change in the weather has had me snuggled under the duvet.  But, I suppose I should just put my big girls pants on and get outside, seeing as that's where all the adventures happen.

Right, so where have I been in the last 17 days...

Well, firstly I have revisited Devil's Spittleful Nature Reserve (with much better weather this time!) and then followed on to Burlish Top before going home.

As a result of more favourable weather I was able to truly appreciate the landscape and beauty of the heathland habitat. I also managed to find a few caches that I was unable to on the last trip (hoorah!)
Devil's Spittleful Nature Reserve 


View from the top of Devil's Spittleful Rock 


 I then went onto Burlish Top Nature Reserve, which consists of lowland heath, oak and birch woodland and acidic grassland. There are various easy access trails
 spreading across the reserve. There were around 6 caches within the trails, 2 of which I was unable to find that day.
Lowland Heath habitat of Burlish Top 

Lowland Heath habitat of Burlish Top 

Common Red Clover 
Hoverfly - any idea on plant species? 
Bombus Hortorium amidst a flowering Himalayan Balsam 
Speckled Wood Butterfly










No comments:

Post a Comment