Sunday 23 August 2015

Devil's Spittleful

If I could sum up today's walk in one word it would definitely be: RAIN. I set out at midday and I was soaked through by one o'clock. It was today that I rigorously questioned whether or not I was crazy, or just really stupid. (the answer I settled on was both)

So I set about on finding the 'Devious Devil' series of Caches, starting adjacent to the West Midlands Safari Park. Taking a wooded path behind the Safari Park's fencing was quite exciting, although I couldn't see any baby kangaroos through the chain-link. I found these caches pretty easy to find, which I was very thankful of because the miserable weather was quickly turning my mood sour! For each log that I found and signed, there had been two other names signed on this very same day. Although I didn't come across a single soul whilst I was out.

I came home with 7 Finds, and 3 DNFs, although I didn't log any of these as I know I didn't do a thorough look, so I will be going back soon to have a proper rummage! I also didn't go up to the top of Devil's Spittle Rock, I really just wanted to keep trudging along to get home. But I will be sure to go back very soon. (When it isn't raining hopefully!) But either way, the surrounding nature reserve was a beautiful sight, even in the gloomy settings. I can't wait to go back and take my time there.
Calluna - Common Heather

I have given myself a little research project (don't you just love the word project!) Anyway, I want to educate myself of Heathland habitats before I go back. So I can truly understand and appreciate the habitat when I am there, and this is something I would like to do before I go to any new area. I want to learn, not just observe. I think it would also be pretty cool to share these findings as maybe 'Idiots Guides' mhmm, that'd be pretty cool!

Devils's Spittleful Nature Reserve 
A few things I learnt from today's Geocaching adventure: 
  1. I really need to buy a small first aid kit, just in case!
  2. I really need to bring a small hand towel, signing logs with wet hands is not ideal!
  3. I should buy a pair of weatherproof gloves. 
  4. My iPhone doesn't do great in the rain ... (shocker) 

No comments:

Post a Comment