Wednesday 15 June 2016

#30Days Wild Day 15!

I cannot believe we are now halfway through the #30DaysWild Challenge already!! So many more exciting things to do and see!

An absolutely sodden day tonight! It just about managed to dry up and brighten in time for me to head home for work - and just as I was packing away the outdoor cafe furniture, I spotted this little guy drying off on the windowsill! I calmy had to run into the shop to grab my phone to get a photo!


Now for anyone who doesn't know, this little guy is a Buff Tip Moth! He stands out a lot on our beautiful teal paintwork, but he is designed to camouflage as a Silver Birch twig. I'd known about these moths, but this is the first I have seen with my very own eyes, and of course I was embarrassingly excited about it. (Making sure to message my best friend about it all as quick as I could!)

So, I've made it a job that any species I spot I'm going to learn me some facts!

  1. Their Italian name is Phalera bucephala (Okay so I'm probably not going to remember that)
  2. They are a common species, often found in farmland, grassland, towns and gardens and woodland
  3. You are likely to see them in June and July (mostly at evening or night!) 
I also went for a quick walk this evening after dinner, I didn't manage to escape the rain this time! But I did spot a wagtail of some sorts! It was either a yellow or a grey wagtail, oh I cannot wait to buy myself a camera that will do these beautiful species some justice! (only another £492.78 to go!) 

What wild things have you been up to? 

Tayla 
x









1 comment:

  1. From the location, your Wagtail would have been Grey. :-) A further fact about Buff-tips - When you stay up all night watching the moth trap, Buff-tips always come to the trap after midnight. :-)

    ReplyDelete